Monday, April 5, 2010

Our first intern helps us to go green and promote sustainablity!


Molweni! My name is Heather Quandt and I am currently about to wrap up my GVI community internship in Cape Town. I have really enjoyed my time here in South Africa and I absolutely love the projects I have been able to be a part of. In my eight weeks I have volunteered at ACJ Pakade Primary School with the sports program, tutored students in literacy, worked with disabled children at Ikhaylathemba Village, and taught children from the community at the Nceduluntu Educare Centre.
As a part of my internship I have had the chance to take on the project of establishing a recycling program. Each volunteer apartment now has a “recycling corner” the main purpose is to collect recyclable materials such as batteries, paper, plastic, and glass – while also giving tips to volunteers via posters on how to be sustainable while on project. These tips include ideas on food waste, water and electricity conservation, and donation of old unwanted clothing to charity.
We are focusing on implementing sustainable values not only in our volunteer apartments but also on project as well – we have put containers on project for recyclable materials such as paper, cans, and plastic. Hopefully this small step will open the gateway to more sustainable efforts in the orphanage and the community at large.

-Heather Quandt

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: