Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The variety of sports



Last week was good fun. We tried some new ideas and new drills without soccer balls and net balls. I wasn't sure how the kids would react when they knew there would be no soccer but the drills went quite well. The kids really enjoyed the obstacle course we designed. It inspired competitiveness and incorporated physical activity such as jumping jacks and push ups. It was definitely nice to change up the routine. We are starting to focus on gymnastics and I'm curious to see how it goes. One work placement student has been coming out here and there to help out, which makes everything run a little smoother. He is very nice and a very good teacher and we are lucky to have him around.

The longer I am here the more comfortable I become with the kids and disciplining them. I've actually surprised myself a few times. There is one girl that is so talented at soccer which is pretty rare because most girls play net ball. I've been able to have one on ones with her and I promise she gets better every day, it really blows my mind. It is just sad because it is hard for her to play with the boys because they aren't too welcoming. I think it means a lot to her that we have our little sessions and it's amazing how good she is.

Stephanie Leyland- Sports volunteer

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: