Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Crazy, fun, heartfelt...Will's time in South Africa


What can I tell you that you haven’t already heard/read already? The beautiful scenery, the rewarding work, playing with the kids, the many side trips you can take, party nights with new friends, life changing experiences and all of it incredibly cheap.  The only things which you might not have heard already are the crazy things that can/do happen. Which I personally find all the more enjoyable.  Some great crazy stories you’ll have for the rest of your life to tell and share.

There’s also really… I don’t know the word for it… heartfelt? Times where you feel your soul move. Like dancing for the first time in 12 years, having a deep conversation about friendship with one of the kids (reminiscing about your own elementary school days) or, talking with your friends about your virginity and wanting to save it for someone that you truly love, and all the complicated ball poop you have to put up with because of it (trying not to swear …hence, ball poop) or, just plain standing on top of a mountain caked in dirt, sweat and sunscreen, the wind on your face and just feeling one with the world and all its beautiful effedupness (not a word I know)

There’s bad stuff that happens too, I’m not saying there isn’t. This is Africa, if you think bad stuff doesn’t happen then bla bla bla funny line saying you’re stupid. Just be smart and learn from your co-ordinator the customs and how to deal with such situations and you’ll be fine. I’ve been here for 6 months now and I’m going for another 6 so I hope you’ll find me an adequate source. Chances are, if you’re reading this you’ve already made up your mind so I’ll just end this awkwardly.

PS: I am Will

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: