Saturday, December 4, 2010

A leap of faith from New York to Nomzamo

As school starts to wind down, and testing comes to a close, life at the school has been a bit hectic. I’m getting to see a new side of all the teachers here now that their focus has shifted from classwork to grading papers and writing report cards.

I still can’t believe it’s already been 6 short weeks since I first arrived at Cape Town Airport. When I left New York I really had no idea what to expect, but I knew I loved teaching and loved working with children, so I decided the leap of faith was worth it. It absolutely was. I remember my first day on project I walked into a class and expected to feel a bit out of place, but as soon as they got the chance all the kids immediately started asking me every question they knew how to in English. Every day I’m still getting the opportunity to talk with new staff, new students, but at the same time build great relationships with the kids I already know. My role has mostly been assisting students with their class work, and helping teachers mark papers, which may sound boring, but the look on the kid’s faces makes it all worthwhile.

I have the unique opportunity to see classes at ACJ first hand, and I’m tremendously grateful I’ve been able to do all the things I’ve done so far!

Mike Kamis - Long-term teaching volunteer at ACJ Primary School, Nomzamo


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: