Monday, January 31, 2011

A Learning Experience for All

Words cannot fully express what an extraordinary and enriching experience I‘ve had volunteering.  Initially I had no idea what to expect as volunteering was completely new to me.  Now that I’m nearing the end of my 2 weeks, I can confidently say it was a life changing experience.  Being surrounded by poverty and watching these young children routinely overcome adversity, really put my insignificant problems into perspective. Coming from Australia, it’s easy to take things for granted and forget how extremely lucky we are. 

The children are truly amazing, their resilience and joyous attitudes in spite of impoverished conditions is so inspiring. They express so much appreciation for even the smallest gesture of kindness and their happiness is infectious. As funny as it may sound, I learnt so much from these children. Being here I’ve seen firsthand what a difference one person can make and I urge everyone to consider volunteering. 

Lukas, From Melbourne, Australia. January 2011

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: