Monday, June 13, 2011

Like Nothing Else

There is nothing that can prepare you for working with GVI.  My first day, I was absolutely terrified, not only about never having worked with children before but also about being away from home in a new country.  Within the first half hour, the being scared feeling completely disappeared and was replaced with an excitement and a completely overwhelming love for the wonderful children.  They, of course, were testing me due to being a new volunteer.  However, when I implemented the appropriate boundaries they responded with unconditional love, warmth and a level of receptiveness that would made my time teaching them an absolute joy for every minute of the day!

In terms of the lessons, there is a well-structured plan in place to help you every step along the way along in addition to the amazing coordinators who are always so willing to help with any issue at hand.  Being away from home is easy to deal with when you are surrounded by all the lovely and diverse people you will meet here.

Along with the project comes the variety of side trips that you can take from experiencing Cape Town to sky-diving and everything in between.  All in all, GVI gave me the opportunity to experience all of the fantastic things that South Africa has to offer.  It has not only given me the chance to meet some great people but I also experienced hands on teaching with the best children I will ever meet.  As cliché as this sounds, you will never have an experience like it!

Sarah Jarvis – Masiphumelele Volunteer


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: