Monday, April 9, 2012

A Life-Changing Trip

It is hard to believe that I am finishing my last week here in Fish Hoek. Time has truly flown by. Spending the past 3 weeks at Kiddies Corner has been the most challenging, life-changing and amazing experience of my life. My first day at Kiddies was a bit overwhelming. It seemed like an impossible task to learn the name of all 37 children and remember all the different songs they love to sing. Now not only do I know all their names, but also more about their personalities and individual abilities. Oh, and as for remembering the songs, I think they have been permanently implanted into my brain. I'm sure when I am home I will sporadically break into a round of "there was a crocodile...".


The decision to come to South Africa was about pushing my personal boundaries and reach outside my comfort zone. While every day here certainly becomes more comfortable, there is always a new challenge to overcome. Whether it is planning a suitable lesson, dealing with conflict on project or finding the line between being too strict or too relaxed, there is always something to keep you on your toes. GVI gives people the opportunity to grow and experience new things in countries that they might not be able to travel to otherwise. I am so lucky to have been able to meet all the wonderful people and children at Kiddies Corner, fellow GVI volunteers and staff and experience all that South Africa has to offer.


Rachel Hardy- Masiphumelele Volunteer


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: