Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Heartbreak of Goodbye


Arriving in the airport at 8am after such a long flight and waiting on my own with Patrick (the smiley driver) for the other two volunteers to come through baggage collection, I was quite nervous. As soon as Carly and Emma walked towards us the nerves changed to excitement and from then on we all got on like a house on fire.

The lack of sleep on the flight soon caught up with me and my arrival day seemed like the longest day of my life, but meeting so many new friendly faces from all over the world and having Emma and Carly as my roomies helped me through my first day in Gordon’s Bay. After that the days just flew by…too quickly.

The drive to the orphanage through the township was jaw-dropping. I had never seen anything quite like it before. Although you are surrounded by metal shacks and poverty, everyone looks happy and all the children on the streets smile and wave at you as you drive past in the minibus. It really makes you appreciate the simple things in life and it is living proof that money doesn’t buy you happiness.

Meeting the children in the orphanage and in the nursery has been the highlight of my time here. They are all so individually beautiful and they make you laugh so much. I love the way you get to know their cheeky little characteristics, especially the children in your class.

My time with GVI has been an unforgettable experience. You learn a lot about yourself as well as the African culture. Saying goodbye to the children is going to be heartbreaking but I know they will all hold a special place in my heart forever.

Anna Christian – Ikhayalethemba & Nceduluntu Volunteer



Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: