Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Strong Spirited Children

I’ve had the amazing experience of working with the special needs children this week. The pace has definitely changed, going from working with a class of 3 girls to massage therapy with the sweetest boys in the world.

It’s such a different atmosphere and experience working with these children who deserve so much attention. They long to be touched and played with and their faces always brighten when you talk to them. We have had some adventures with Anelle trying to keep him out of trouble, take your eye off of him for two seconds and he’s gone! He is always walking off into some new disaster and always needing a washing up. Just this week he drenched himself in the sink, then went right over to a bucket of dry cement powder and covered himself in it. The next day I found him face down in a puddle of mud happily drinking it right up!  Needless to say he is a handful, but the smile on that boy could never make you angry. We just laugh it off and wait for the next adventure he will get us into.

The spirit of these children is so strong and it’s finally hitting that I only have a week left here. I can’t imagine not having these kids to run after or the constant dribble and snot all over me. It’s definitely going to be a change and I know I will have a piece of every single child with me forever.

Alexis Dreyer  - Ikhayalethemba Volunteer



Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: