Monday, May 14, 2012

The Good, the Great and the Beautiful...Part One



Driving to Westlake on my first day working at The Hope Centre I had butterflies the size of bats in my stomach. I had worked with kids before back in the UK and yet I was more anxious about meeting these 20 children than I have been meeting anyone. First, I got to meet Riaan who instantly made me feel like part of the team. Then came the children and the butterflies disappeared, they were so excited to see me and so affectionate. I was expecting them to have their guard up with me as I was new and yet they had this incredible way of making me feel instantly welcome and at ease.
Lesson time is always fun as you have half of the class at a time, so it allows you to get to know the children better. It still astounds me that at the age of five and six, how good all of their English is considering that it’s their second language. They can be a handful, but once they’re settled they become completely enthralled and will hang onto your every word. Whether it be learning numbers 1 – 10, the alphabet or colours, they want to learn these things and are elated when they get an answer right. When you see that flip switch in a child’s head and they understand something you have taught them, is honestly one of the best feelings in the world!
Laura Mond- Fish Hoek Educare volunteer

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: