Thursday, May 3, 2012

No Work, All Play



As this year marked my first Easter away from my family, I didn’t want the weekend to pass without any recognition or celebration. Upon first inquiring about the holiday, the children at Hope shrieked with joy and shouted, “Santa Clause!” Needless to say, I had my work cut out for me. My coworkers and I wanted to plan a fun day for the kids that would primarily serve as our excuse to buy chocolate.

We began that Friday with an egg hunt- I tried to be tricky and hide them among tree branches, but the entire property was turned over in a matter of seconds. They clung to the slips of paper like nuggets of gold. They also designed hard-boiled eggs, and those who managed to resist the urge to eat them immediately placed them on spoons and raced around the yard. Adelina was a star, managing to play the game as it’s supposed to. 

We had coloring contests, bunny ears, an impromptu water fight and tons of candy – it wasn’t a traditional Easter, but the kids’ enthusiasm and appreciation throughout the day gave me a better sense of the holiday than I ever would have experienced at home.

After two weeks of hard work, numbers 1-4, the alphabet and colors this was the perfect way to bring my time at Hope to an end. I will remember Hestaleen’s smile, Jocelyn’s laugh, Shayna’s hugs and Bongo’s energy and cherish this time I spent with them. My coworkers and I agreed that we had never seen such happiness, big smiles and excitement out of them, and that is more fulfilling than any correct answer they could have provided. I will always remember this day fondly and hope to be surrounded by such joyful people for next year.  

Emily Davey- Westlake Volunteer



Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: